+of+100_0034.jpg)
The other night, I slowly drifted off to sleep. Suddenly, I was in a park full of beautifully colored trees. As I sat on a bench, I saw someone walking toward me, out of the corner of my eye. Their silhouette came into focus as they got closer and closer to me. It was then that I realized, I knew this girl…this woman. I knew that we had never met, though she seemed very familiar to me. I looked away, closed my eyes, and drew in a deep breath. Once I opened my eyes, I looked up at her and I knew……it was my sister. I stared into her eyes and said, “Kelly?” At that very instant, she smiled at me. “I knew I couldn’t get one past you,” she said. I wasn’t sure how I knew it was her. How do you know that you love your child? How are you sure that you want to spend the rest of your life with someone? YOU JUST KNOW!
Her hair was a sandy brown, her eyes a beautiful shade of hazel. They reminded me so of my dad, so warm and friendly. She had a confident walk like Bridget, and a nose just like Josh’s. And of course, when she smiled, she showed off her pointy Rose Alma chin. I was certain this was my big sister…..she was so beautiful. I stood up to hug her and realized that she was several inches taller than me. She wrapped her arms tightly around me and I began to cry. I had so many questions for her, I had no clue where to start. I needed to know if she was okay, if she knew how much we love and miss her. I wanted so badly for her to meet my boys and for them to know her. So I opened my mouth to let out the rambling of questions, when she said, “don‘t” She explained to me that I shouldn’t worry about her. She is happy and healthy and always watching over us. My beautiful older sister told me that she was not ready to leave us all those years ago, so she made sure to leave a piece of her behind. “I knew of the fight you had ahead of you and the strength it would take to overcome what you will face,” she said. As she held my hand in hers, she said that every time my lungs feel weak and I think I cannot take another breath…she will breathe for me. She told me that when the time comes that there is a hurdle that I just cannot jump over…..she promised to lift me up. She told me how sorry she was that she wasn’t here for me to lean on and to comfort me. I tightened my grip on her hand, unable to get out any words. Then she stood up, as if to leave. She held my face in her hands and said, “I do not want to leave, but I have to go.” “I know you have so many questions, but please know this………you have so much strength in you. You have to be strong for yourself , but protect Rosie and Dillon too! They need you more than you will ever know. I am so sorry that I am not there to protect you, but my strength lies in you. You and I will meet again, among the leaves.” I hugged her tight and told her how much I love her, how much we all love her. She turned and began to walk away. Then I heard a whisper say “tell them, my love is in your hands.” I looked down and opened my fists to find one orange and one red leaf.
Her hair was a sandy brown, her eyes a beautiful shade of hazel. They reminded me so of my dad, so warm and friendly. She had a confident walk like Bridget, and a nose just like Josh’s. And of course, when she smiled, she showed off her pointy Rose Alma chin. I was certain this was my big sister…..she was so beautiful. I stood up to hug her and realized that she was several inches taller than me. She wrapped her arms tightly around me and I began to cry. I had so many questions for her, I had no clue where to start. I needed to know if she was okay, if she knew how much we love and miss her. I wanted so badly for her to meet my boys and for them to know her. So I opened my mouth to let out the rambling of questions, when she said, “don‘t” She explained to me that I shouldn’t worry about her. She is happy and healthy and always watching over us. My beautiful older sister told me that she was not ready to leave us all those years ago, so she made sure to leave a piece of her behind. “I knew of the fight you had ahead of you and the strength it would take to overcome what you will face,” she said. As she held my hand in hers, she said that every time my lungs feel weak and I think I cannot take another breath…she will breathe for me. She told me that when the time comes that there is a hurdle that I just cannot jump over…..she promised to lift me up. She told me how sorry she was that she wasn’t here for me to lean on and to comfort me. I tightened my grip on her hand, unable to get out any words. Then she stood up, as if to leave. She held my face in her hands and said, “I do not want to leave, but I have to go.” “I know you have so many questions, but please know this………you have so much strength in you. You have to be strong for yourself , but protect Rosie and Dillon too! They need you more than you will ever know. I am so sorry that I am not there to protect you, but my strength lies in you. You and I will meet again, among the leaves.” I hugged her tight and told her how much I love her, how much we all love her. She turned and began to walk away. Then I heard a whisper say “tell them, my love is in your hands.” I looked down and opened my fists to find one orange and one red leaf.
No comments:
Post a Comment